Saturday, January 12, 2008

Heather's Top 10 for 2007 - Part 1

I love "Top 10" lists! And right now, they're in all my magazines, facebook notes, TV specials, etc. So, I figured why not make up my own? So, I'm going to do a "Top 10" list for the next few days. Now, remember....these are my favs, not necessarily yours! But lots of times, after reading someone else's list like this, I'll try something new and find out I love it too.

Most of you know our entire family loves music. Our radio/CD player/Ipod is always on in the car, and this Christmas I even got a CD/radio mounted under my kitchen counters and XM satallite for the cars. Also, our kids have never listened to Barney, the Wiggles, or anything ridiculous like that. They have always listened to our music (censored, of course), so that's all they know. They can hum a little Ozzy with the rest of us! So, my first Top 10 list for 2007 is my favorite bands or songs. Here goes.....

1. My Chemical Romance - We'd heard a total of 2 songs from this band before 2007 and they were irregularlly played on stations we didn't hear often. Then we bought "The Black Parade" and went to their concert in April, at one of our teenager's recommendation, and were hooked. One of the best performances we'd ever seen onstage. Yes, I know they're dark and goth and they sing about death an awful lot....but if you listen to the words and the music together it's a much more uplifting combo than you'd think. Their "Black Parade" CD is awesome, from the first song to the last, which I find rare in a CD.

2. Buckcherry - OK, don't judge this band by the one song you might have heard on the radio that uses the word *itch about 100 times. I think it's a funny song and MAC and I love it, but the kids aren't allowed to hear it! But their CD "15" is full of all different kinds of sounds. The majority of their stuff isn't like "Crazy *itch" and is fun to roll the windows down in the car and crank up really loud. Also, try "Sorry"....one of those "I did bad, but I'm really sorry songs" that's surprisingly not sappy!

3. Daughtry - I am not a big fan of American Idol. We watch it on occasion, but mostly just to mock the contestants who think they can sing and get praise from the judges but are really off key half the time, have no personality, copy karaoke singing, etc. And the few times we heard Chris Daughtry on the show, we weren't impressed. But once his first album came out, I grudgingly fell for it. Almost every one of this songs is good! He's not hard core rock, but more mainstream, and some people have a cow about that. I, on the other hand, enjoy having some decent rock played on our stations around here that mostly play 70s-90s music. He also did an awesome duet with Slash this year on the song "What I Want". You'll only hear it occasionally on modern and alternative rock stations, but it's a great song as well. I wish AI would encourage more people in the rock genre, but since it's a pop idol show, that'll probably never happen.

4. Justin Timberlake - Can't believe I'm putting his name on my Top 10 list. I used to despise his music, along with almost every other "boy band" and "spice girl" type band you could name. That kind of music is like the tip of a marzipan flower on a wedding cake as far as substance goes. But with Justin's latest album, I've accepted that he is actually a good singer/songwriter. The songs have different sounds and most of them are very catchy, funky and cool. This year, I really enjoyed "Love/Stoned" (love it when she says "hot damn on the chorus") and "What Goes Around". They're horribly overplayed on the radio, but can't help that. So, embrace the boy sound and give it a try. I usually go for the growly type men singers, but a little fluff every now and then is OK!

5. Nickelback - Another overplayed group on the radio....and also one that MAC cannot stand to hear. He says the lead singer sounds constipated all the time :-) I, on the other hand, love most every song they put out. They sound rough around the edges and sing about some stuff I don't agree with, but I can't get away from the sound. Their song "Rockstar" this year was hilarious, but yet, so true.

6. Velvet Revolver - Any group that has Slash as a guitarist is OK in my book. They have a "grown up" sound, that I love....and the music with the guitar solos is great. Their newest CD "Libertad" is a great mix of sounds, from harder rock to country sounding blends that mean I can listen to them for a while without getting bored. We missed seeing them in concert this year, but hope to make it some other time.

7. AC/DC - Since marrying MAC I've fallen in love with a good many older bands. AC/DC has a sound all their own. You can pick them out anywhere (and my kids can, too)....mostly due to the whiny sounding lead singer. But who can refuse rocking out to "Back in Black", "Shook me all Night Long", etc? Some of their songs are ridiculous ("She's Got the Jack", anyone?), but the sound itself is unique. Another band to crank up with the sunroof open and the windows down.

8. Maroon 5 - When their first CD "Songs of Jane" came out a few years ago, we adored this band. The mix of sensual lyrics, funky beats and Adam Levin's falsetto were quite the package. The entire collection of songs on that CD were favorites. And after hearing their first single from the new CD back in April, I knew I'd have to have the new one as well. Their new recording isn't as good as the first....it's like they've tried to go more mainstream and toned down the funkiness of their first effort. But the more I listen to it, the more I like it. Thier music is mostly "love 'em and leave 'em" type sentiments, but it's a lot of fun to listen to!

***My last 2 are actually songs....not bands....but they deserved a mention on my list***

9. "Her Eyes" by Pat Monahan - Back when "Drop of Jupiter" came out, we got Train's CD and really loved it. They lost that sound over the years, but I really love Pat's new song. I'm not sure if he's going solo now, or just recorded a single as a solo artist, but either way it's great. Who can resist the lyrics? They're romantic, sensual, funny and I listen to it several times a day. What woman doesn't want to hear that the entire world can be found by looking into her eyes?

10. "Music is my Hot, Hot Sex" by CSS - Who remembers this song from the TV commercial for some phone or other? I had to have it! It's not really about sex....but about how music can be the favorite thing in your life. The band is Swedish or Spanish or something weird and they do have some funky foreign language in it, but listen to the lyrics....they're hilarious and true for any musicphile like myself.

So, there you have it.....my favs for 2007. And don't bash me because most of them are more mainstream and they're not obscure bands from who knows what garage. There are tons of "honorable mention" artists, but most of them are just bands I've loved for years and I wanted to do ones that I mostly "discovered" during last year. Anyway, if you've never heard of some of them, try it out. They may not be for you. But every year when Stephen King puts out his "Top 10 lists" in Entertainment Weekly, you can bet I'm on the computer looking them up and giving them a try!

Til next time.....

No comments: