Friday, January 11, 2008

The Wonder of God's Forgiveness

Today I was emailing one of the girls in our youth group at church who is struggling with something she's done in her past. While working through that email, the Lord really just opened my eyes to something I've known for years but never really thought about.

Lots of people feel shame over things they've said or done in their past; but as Christians I don't think we have any right to feel shame. Yes, there are regrets and often consequences for our sin or stupidity, but do we need to feel shame? I don't think so. If God, who loved us before we were ever conceived knowing that we would commit these sins against him and other people, can love us unconditionally and choose, because he's God, to forgive and forget these sins if they are under Christ's blood....then what right do we have to carry them around with us and beat ourselves over the head with those past failures? We don't! God even gives us the means and grace to deal with the consequences of past sins; and we can be assured that just because we failed, or sinned, or did things outside of His will, it did absolutely nothing to derail his plan for our lives. How awesome is that? It's hard for me to understand how people live their lives without believing wholeheartedly in the sovreignty of God....just to know that He is planning and guiding my life, in spite of my failures and falls, is so comforting.

Just my theological thought for the day!

No comments: