Sunday, December 16, 2007

Guilt, stupidity and Christmas donations

Along with taking care of all the Xmas shopping on Saturday, I made a complete fool of myself....although no one knew it but me. There is one thing that makes me feel guilty no matter what time of year it is. People asking for donations. Sometimes they stand at doors in Santa suits ringing bells, other times they pass an offering plate. On Saturday they were on the side of the road. Have you ever been driving along minding your own business and come to an intersection and there are people standing there collecting money for some cause? Well, Saturday, it was the local fire department standing there with boots collecting money for some cause or other. I know you're asking yourself "Why in the world do these people cause such guilt?" Well, I'll tell you.....it's because I never have anything to give them!! There are people in this world who carry cash wherever they go. When they get paid, they put part in the bank and get some in cash which they carry around and use for small items, meals out, etc. I am not one of those people. I live by debit card and debit card alone! But the people collecting money for the Salvation Army, firefighters, local hospitals, etc don't take debit cards. But I feel no less guilty walking or driving by them and not having anything to give them. This is where the stupid part comes in. I exit the interstate after a day of Xmas shopping on Saturday and see that there are about 20 firefighters at the top of the ramp holding boots and collecting donations....and as usual, I have no cash or change. The light at the top of the ramp turns red. And what do I do? Instead of stopping at the top of the ramp, waving off the nice men collecting money and sitting in my car for the light to change.....I get in the right lane and make a quick turn in the opposite direction from where I needed to go! I drive down that road calling myself all kinds of idiot....do a u-turn....and try to time my approach back to that light so that it would be green. But NOOOO.....the light turns red.....and I end up having to stop right in the midst of all these firefighters and their boots. And instead of sitting there in my car and waving or just ignoring them, I have to roll down my window and explain to the guy that I'd love to donate to their cause, but have no cash. Roll up the window....and call myself all kinds of idiot again!

So, until these collectors start carrying debit card swipers....or until I change my habits of 30 years and start carrying cash....I will continue to feel guilty and will probably continue to use avoidance tactics to make myself feel better....or more stupid as this situation did!

PS: For those of you just dying to know about my new ring....here's a few details. It's 1.2 ct total weight, a round vintage setting with etching and diamonds on the band. Should be here tomorrow, then will have to be sized....so hopefully I'll have it back before Christmas.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Ha! Too funny. I can totally relate!!!! I usually have some spare change at the bottom of my purse I can pass along, but I would've done the same thing you did. I guess I don't want people to think I am not giving, so I will avoid embarrassment if I can't give at any cost!