Monday, December 10, 2007

A "Xmas" Revelation

This is my second post today.....but just had to share a revelation I had over the weekend. I was always raised with the viewpoint that to write or type "Xmas" was disrespectful to Christ and meant that you were taking the "Christ" out of Christmas. All of my life, I have felt guilty any time I used that shortcut in writing, emailing, etc. It suddenly occurred to me on Friday, while feeling that guilty twinge once again, that "X" is the Greek letter chi which in NT times, stood for "Christ". Even Wikipedia lists a usage of X (Greek) as the "X" in Xmas. Therefore, those of us who use Xmas aren't trying to leave Christ out of Christmas, it's just an easier form of writing or typing the word. I refuse to feel guilty for doing it anymore!

MAC informed me that he's told me this for the past 6 years. Guess that goes to show how well I'm listening, hmmm?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is weird because just today I was typing an email and typed Xmas and then back spaced and typed Christmas for that very reason. Strange I almost need to look it up myself to get ride of the feeling though.