Monday, December 10, 2007

The Teenage Spirit

Well, we finally got our holiday decorations up over the weekend (the boxes are still cluttering up the living room, though), so that's one big thing checked off my to-do list. MAC gets his Xmas bonus tomorrow, which means this weekend is shopping time! The older I get the more I dislike holiday shopping. The crowds are annoying, the stores aren't stocked all that well and I get tired much faster than I used to! But I will persevere so our family gets a gift and the kids are excited on Xmas morning.

Our round of parties started last night with the senior high youth group party at a local coffee house. You know, even though our bodies are aging rapidly (who know those lines/wrinkles around your eyes could just pop up overnight!?!), our spirits are still young and we had a far better time last night with 70 teenagers in a crowded public venue than we ever do at an adult Xmas party held in someone's fancy home. I hope that we can continue to be "young at heart" even as we get older and older; and working with teens on a consistent basis really helps in that regard.

And in closing, here are a few things I learned this weekend:

1. Swim meets (at least in our area) are not for those of us who get hot easily. The local pool used for our teen's swim meets is enclosed in a huge "bubble", lighted inside with hot lamps. The smell is awful (think 100 wet teens and their clothing/shoes), everything is damp and there are parents everywhere. Mikayla and Matthew were not impressed and since it's been in the 80s for the past few days here in GA, you couldn't even escape the heat by going outside. The next swim meet we go to will be in an aquatics center!

2. Blockbuster employees are not always the most trained at their jobs. Case in point - I go on Saturday night to rent a movie and the guy pulled a copy of the new POTC movie out of the return box. I'm so excited to get one because they're always sold out, and the guy is all talking about how he found me one, etc, etc. I get home with 2 movies (POTC 3 and Rescue Dawn with Christian Bale) intending to have a nice movie night since MAC was working on a computer and doing some seminary reading. I finish POTC and go to pop in Christian Bale....and the stupid guy at Blockbuster hadn't taken the security "thing" out of the movie because he was so busy apologizing because he was slow, telling me how he found me the POTC movie, etc. I tried to pry it out and ended up breaking it off inside the movie case. Needless to say, very annoying. MAC took it back last night after our party and another guy just swapped it out for him and when asked if we could have it for an extra day (it was due back by noon today) just said "Oh, man, yeah, man, we'll take care of it for you". What does that mean? He didn't recheck it out or anything! I just know next time I go in there to rent something there's going to be a late charge on our account!

3. Christmas songs get VERY old. Do you have radio stations that play Christmas songs 24/7? Well, several of my pre-set stations in the car do. How many times can you hear "Winter Wonderland" before it gets old? Doesn't matter if it's by 10 different people! I enjoy Christmas music as much as the next person, but there's a limit to what we can endure :-)

So, there are some things I learned this weekend. Maybe you've come across the same things! LOL

4 comments:

Ellen said...

First of all - 80 degrees!? In Dec?? You can have it... it's been unseasonably cold here this year, even for Dec. Today our high was 21 degrees. Second - I got so fed up with the Blockbuster, I stopped renting from them. Not worth the hassle! And yes, there is such a thing as too much Christmas music when it's the same song over and over again.

Glad you had so much fun at the party. -Here's to staying forever young at heart! :)

Bette Anne said...

You crack me up with your, "Things I learned..." Ryan gets really annoyed at the same Christmas music, but I honestly don't even really hear it! ;) Glad I am finally back online and hopefully I can stay informed on everyone again!

Heather said...

Craziness, I tell ya. Ditto on the Christmas music. I have to listen to it at work and more than half of Christmas songs are about missing someone at Christmas. I mean, come on, give me a break, ok?! =)

Unknown said...

Ha, I haven't heard one Christmas song this year. Not one and I listen to top 40 radio everyday. Now you want to talk about hearing the same songs over and over, but Christmas is not celebrated in this country.