Monday, December 24, 2007

Family and the holidays

We've been at my parent's house since Friday and so blogging is a little slow these days. We got in late Friday night, but the kids had napped on the way here, so they were excited and running all around. Mom had set up 2 electric train sets for Matthew and he was engrossed in those for hours. Saturday, Mom and I went shopping and out to lunch, just like we used to do in the old days when I still lived at home and Mom made one of my favorite dishes for supper. Sunday we had a glorious service at church....lots of Handel's Messiah and the strings section of the Charlotte Symphony for even more fun. My grandad got to come to that service and even though this Christmas season is harder for him, due to my grandmother's death, I think he had a good time. Mom, Mikayla and I made cut-out sugar cookies in the afternoon between singing and dancing around the kitchen to Christmas songs on the radio. Then after the kids were in bed, we snuck to their rooms and ran in ringing jingle bells and banging pot lids (this was Mom's idea....and yes, even MAC joined in), scooped up the kids and ran them out to the truck in their pjs! We rode around and looked at Chistmas lights for an hour singing more Christmas songs and then the kids were about asleep by the time we got home. Then the adults sat around and ate cookies and played cards til late. Seems we've made a few new traditions this year. Next year, the kids will be expecting crazy adults to rush in ringing bells and throw them in the car!!

Today, the guys have gone golfing (in the cold...crazies!) and we will start working on the meal for tomorrow. There's a candlelight communion service at church tonight and hopefully my entier family will be there. My younger brother, Ben, and his family are lighting the final advent candle tonight, and hopefully, my youngest brother, Judah, will be able to make it. My grandad is coming to stay overnight, the first time he's done that in years and years. He and my Mimi used to spend the night with us every year on Christmas Eve. The kids are excited and we're having a blast. Hope your holidays are just as joyous! I probably won't be writing again until we get home, so hope you all have a wonderful Christmas with family and friends.

PS...Sam, I know you're not with family this year, but just know we're thinking of you and praying for you!

No comments: