Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Michael's going back to school :-)

That title is a big statement, even though it seems simple. MAC has been planning to go to seminary for 10 years. When we first got married, we requested packets of info and applications from several seminaries - both Baptist and Reformed. When he felt that his beliefs about Scripture were leading him to a Reformed seminary, we hit some roadblocks. For one, most of the Reformed schools require a session or elder recommendation and as much as we loved Dr. Surrett and respected his ministry at Emmanuel in Kings Mountain, we doubted highly that he would give MAC a recommendation to go to a Calvinistic seminary! So he put the seminary plans on hold and we worked with youth in NC for 5 years. Then when we moved to GA and broke ties with our "Baptist heritage" the subject of seminary came up again; but he had told his father that he'd work for him for 5 years in the family business. And working 40 hours a week and traveling all over the middle GA area servicing computers is not conducive to working on master's level courses. So, again, we felt God saying "Wait!" And so he did everything he could in the meantime to prepare. He came under care of the session at our church 3 years ago and began working closely with a ruling elder in the church in order to be better prepared for seminary when the time came. Another obstacle was that we wanted to put him through seminary without acquiring student loans...basically this meant saving up for classes ahead of time and if you know us, we are definitely not savers! Finally, Matthew was old enough for school and I was able to go back to work very part time, but enough for us to have some extra money for classes. After having to write an extensive paper to prove that his education received at Ambassador was good enough to get him into seminary (gotta love unaccredited colleges!), he was finally accepted into seminary last September for enrollment in the winter quarter beginning in January. So, we were all excited and he was choosing a class to take.....and then our house developed a crack running the entire length of the foundation. $12000 later, our house was repaired, but there was no money left for seminary. This was very discouraging; but what can you do when God shuts the door yet again? This summer I approached my boss about working on Saturday mornings so we would have more money to set aside for seminary and thankfully, the Lord has blessed enough for us to once again put money into savings. And, praise the Lord, MAC enrolled in his first seminary class last week and the books for the course are already on their way. He hopes to get a big headstart on the reading required for the course which starts January 4th. He'll be driving to Atlanta and going to classes at Reformed Theological Seminary on Friday and all day Saturday for several weekends. Then he'll have a set period of time after the classes are over to finish the course work and turn it in.

This is a big step for our family in many ways. Not only is it extremely expensive financially, but it means having to balance our family life and other activities even more, so that he has time to study but still has family, youth work, and fun time. I know that we'll have to fight for our family time, which we've always tried to make a priority; and MAC will be cutting back on his youth work and teaching schedule at church in order to accommodate his studying. And luxuries like golf and outings will be cut back due to budgeting (at least riding a motorcycle isn't too expensive!); but we believe that this is what God wants us to be doing and are so happy that after 10 years of dreaming he's finally on his way to earning a master's degree - even if it is one class at a time.

But at this rate, that doctorate he wants to get? That'll be when we're grandparents :-) So, pray for us and all the changes that are ahead. I'm thankful to the Lord for the timing of all this, even though it seems so slow by our standards. I'm glad for the 10 years of marriage we've had to strengthen our home, our marriage and our family before we go through these coming years....cause I know they'll be tough!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! That is exciting that he is finally experiencing his dream... though I don't envy him going back to school! Chris has just started his MBA which has been somewhat hard on family time, but I am proud of his initiative to pursue it... and I'll be glad when it's over!

Heather C. said...

Well, when you love studying and learning as much as he does, it's not such a sacrifice! LOL I'd enjoy going back to school, even if only to prove to myself that I could survive a "real" school, if that makes any sense. But at this point, my going back to school will probably never happen :-)

Ellen said...

So happy for you both. We know first hand that it's going to be a big adjustment, but also know it's possible. This is very exciting. I truly wish him the best!!

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about a "real" school. Chris likes to point that fact out to me. :) I have to take 9 hours from an accredited college over the next 2 years to keep my certification with the ACSI, so I'll get to experience the "real" school experience. :) I'll let you know how it goes... :)

Unknown said...

I'm so glad he is finally getting to do it. I know how much he wants it. Now if I could only get back to school so I can get my Associates. You people make me sick. "I love learning," "I'm working on my Master," blah, blah, blah. J K

Bette Anne said...

Wow... I am so behind on reading your blog... I need to put yours on update cause for some reason when I see "The Collins" in my link list I think, Oh, that's Sam and Heather and I already checked theirs! :( So, anyways, so glad that he is finally getting to do this! I know that he will do great and hopefully your family time won't suffer too much! ;)