Monday, November 12, 2007

The Year of the Concert

Today, I had a friend call to inform me that Keith Urban will be making a stop in GA next year on a combined tour with Carrie Underwood. Now, I am not a fan of country music.....but I'd sit in the rain in December to watch Keith Urban play! This got me thinking that this has really been "the year of the concert" for the Collins family.

Most of you know that we adore music, of almost any type except rap, and it plays pretty much constantly in our vehicles, offices and lots of times at home too. Mikayla has a clock radio and goes to sleep with it on every night. I can probably remember only 3-4 times in the entire past year that I have been driving and turned the radio off completely. We do enjoy our music :-) And as it turns out, we have enjoyed lots of concerts this year, too. There's just something different about hearing a group live! Feeling the music inside your body is something that just can't be explained; and with subwoofers the size of my car from floor to ceiling, you can ALWAYS feel the music.

We saw My Chemical Romance in April, which was - by far - one of the most entertaining and energetic things I've been to in my entire life. Thoroughly enjoyed it and would go back in a heartbeat if they came anywhere near GA. Took Mikayla to see Keith Urban in Atlanta back in June since that's her favorite artist. What a great show and the artist is hot, too! I think Mikayla was completely overwhelmed by the sounds, sights, etc....but she said she had a great time. Michael went to Projkt Revolution in August, an outdoor concert where it was 105 in the shade. I missed that one due to the kids starting school the day before. He loved the entire experience (an all day rock concert...one band after another) and is now a big Linkin Park fan. I wouldn't consider it a "concert", per se, but we saw the Phantom of the Opera in Birmingham a few weekends ago....another gotta see it live type experience. This was our third or fourth time for that, and we'll continue to see it every few years until they are no longer running. One of the best soundtracks and romances of all time. Then last weekend we went to a triple billing, Plain White Ts, Gymclass Heroes, and Fall Out Boy. All completely different, but all great experiences. We hope to continue this trend in years to come. After all, Metallica is touring next year.....and we missed the Alice in Chains/Velvet Revolver tour this year. I plan to see Slash play live before I die!

So, if you ever get a chance, pony up the $40 on ticketmaster and go to a live concert! You'll never view music in the same way and there's nothing like jumping up and down, with your hands in the air and screaming lyrics at the top of your lungs with 30,000 other people! Better than singing in the shower any day :-)

3 comments:

Ellen said...

I'm curious,... is the rest of Plain White T's music similar to their song that's getting tons of air time right now? ("Delilah." - I think that's the actual title...)

Heather C. said...

As far as I know, they only have 1 CD out. They've got 2-3 ballads similar to Delilah on that CD...and most of the rest of their music is very upbeat and amazingly, their language is pretty clean (one song uses *amn a lot in the chorus). It's a nice mix of songs and really enjoyable to listen to!

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous. You know I have never been to a concert in my entire life. I should take Heather some time. The only problem is I don't think there is any artist(s) we love enough to go see.