Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Time for Sadness

Life has taken a very unexpected turn this week. On Monday night, we got a call that my grandmother had taken a severe turn for the worst and was basically non-responsive. On Tuesday morning we were told by Hospice that her body was basically shutting down and she would probaby not last 2 days. So, after scrambling around to get a week's worth of work done in 1 hour, and throwing clothes in a bag, we picked Mikayla up from school and headed straight to SC.

My grandmother has had Parkinsons for almost 10 years now and has had ups and downs over the years, so this is really no surprise. But that doesn't make these final days any easier. Even though it's not a great time in our lives, God is still continually reminding me of the blessings he's given me. I'm so grateful for memories.....laying in bed I can remember every detail of Mimi's house, times when I'd spend the night, shelling peas and eating popcorn while watching the Atlanta Braves, shopping trips with Mimi and Mom, holidays together....a woman alive and active and full of life and love. These are the ways I want to remember her; not laying in a nursing home withered and dying. The hardest part but the greatest part of these days is remembering her life and the times I've had with her for over 31 years. And it's so sweet to watch people file through and talk to her, cry and basically share this time of grief with us....her husband of 65+ years, my Mom the only child, the grandchildren, church friends, relatives, Hospice staff and the nursing home staff who call as often as family to check on her and tell her they love her. God has surrounded my Mimi with love in her final days....just like she surrounded us all with love and life for over 85 years.

So, yes we're sad....but we know that Mimi has walked with God for almost all of her life and she's been ready to go for quite some time now. And it's such a comfort to know that "absent from the body is present with the Lord". Thank God for the comfort of Scripture! There is a time for sadness, but there will also be "joy in the morning".

3 comments:

lilsquirt said...

We are praying for you and your family as you handle all of the ups and downs throughtout what's happening with Mimi. I know it's a sad time but it's also a time to rejoice b/c she'll soon be with our Lord and Savior and will be happy again herself and at peace!

Ellen said...

So sorry to hear this news. I will be praying for you and your family. What a blessing to have wonderful memories to hold on to and to know that she is going home to be with her heavenly Father.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry. I know what it feels like to see someone who was vibrant and alive, wither away. You wish they didn't have to suffer, but you don't want them to go.