Monday, November 26, 2007

Thank God for the Little Things

You know, part of the fun of being a Christian is the way you can be going along in your normal, everyday life and God just throws little blessings or bits of fun your way. I know being in ministry is hard and a lot of the time it's very taxing to be really involved in a church, or even a community endeavor, club, etc. But sometimes, God just gives you little things that make it so rewarding....and not even spiritual blessings or answers to prayer, but fun stuff you'd never think you'd get to do otherwise.

One little thing I'm thanking God for is the rain. You might not know, but GA has been in a severe drought for months. To the point where they don't want you watering your lawn or washing your car at all. But starting on Thanksgiving day we have had rain every day and today it's just been coming down constantly. Now, I'm not a huge fan of rain over a long period of time because I find it depressing, especially when it's cool outside at the same time. But I'm so thankful for these few days of rain God has sent our way that it's not that big a deal to have to dress warmly, get my car dirty every time I drive it, and end up with rain droplets on me everywhere we go! This rain will, by no means, end our drought....but you know, at least it's not 3 years without rain like with Elijah in the Old Testament!

Then we thought since we had to cancel our Thanksgiving this year due to MAC's sickness, it'd be kind of boring. Well, thank God for family because we had a very nice Thanksgiving day with the in-laws, then yesterday afternoon we had an impromptu lunch with the entire family here, and we had some free time to take our 2 kids to see "Bee Movie". It's so nice to just be able to relax and spend some down time with family instead of worrying about gas prices during traveling, going back to work more exhausted than when we left, etc. So, thank God for family!

And finally, thank God for those "extras." This is where God just throws fun things your way! We were sleeping in on Saturday and the phone rang at 9am. I let it go and tried to go back to sleep but it kept bugging me, so I finally got up and checked messages. Turns out one of our church teenager's family had 6 extra tickets to the UGA/Ga Tech game that afternoon!! They offered them to us for free, so we hopped in the shower, dressed warmly (turns out not warmly enough) and took off for Atlanta. I haven't been to a UGA game in 5 years and to be able to go to this game where MAC cheers for one team and I cheer for the other is second only behind my dream to go to the UGA/Florida game in Jacksonville some year! So, for the cost of parking and 2 meals, we got to see an awesome game on a cool fall day and all because, I believe, God just likes to bless us every now and then with things that make us happy!

So, keep your eyes open! Maybe God will be sending a special and fun blessing your way today :-)

4 comments:

Ellen said...

Glad to hear you are finally getting some rain down there!!!

The game sounds like it was really fun!! -Gotta' love those little blessings. ;)

Have a great week.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean. Somedays God just gives you those little gifts that only you can appreciate. When I first arrived at Ft. Bragg I was so sad and lonely and I was asking God if he would give me a sign to let me know he was there and I was doing the right thing and as I shut the lights off to go to sleep these glow in the dark stars lit up above my head. I haven't told anyone that because no one understands what that means, but it just hit me. If anyone knows it would be you.

Heather C. said...

Boy, those glow in the dark stars....brings back memories!