Friday, November 16, 2007

Sick and tired of being sick and tired!!!!!

This week has just been awesome....and I say that sarcastically. I've been fighting off a cold for over a week and just when you think it's going to go away...BAM....it comes back with a vengeance. And good ole' MAC, who was on the verge of getting the same thing went to an outdoor bonfire for the teens and woke up the next morning with a trip to FL planned for work and feeling like crap. So we have coughed, moaned, sneezed and generally just sludged through this week. Sounds like fun, right? Well, don't feel obligated to tell us you hope we feel better cause it looks like things are looking up....but with kids in the house who wants to bet they'll come down the same thing next weekend while they're on Tgiving break? LOL

In other news, Mikayla had her first big "work at home" graded project this week. She had to do a poster on Thurgood Marshall, the first black Supreme Court justice. Just let me say, it was one of the hardest things I've done recently to just sit back and let her do her poster her way. She pulled an article off Wikipedia herself, read it and underlined what she wanted to use on her poster and basically all I did was print off the pictures for her and help her organize the project into what to do first, second, third, etc. However, when it came time for her to actually put the poster together, I had to get up and literally walk away to keep myself from taking over. I mean, I want her to get a 100 and want it to look perfect and if we could help it would have been AWESOME! LOL But, it's her project and her grade, so I bit my tongue, stepped away and let her do her thing. And honestly, it didn't turn out too bad, although it definitely looked like a 3rd grader did it on her first attempt. But she was proud of it and the teacher said we helped her just the right amount. So, hopefully, she'll get a decent grade for it. But this whole thing does not bode well for future large projects that she brings home to work on. Maybe MAC will be doing more work on helping with homework in the future, unless I can get my "perfectionist" gene under control!

2 comments:

Bette Anne said...

Totally know what you're talking about! That was the worst part of working on Rush Weekend knowing you could build everything so much better and just having to watch as the teens couldn't even cut a straight line! This does not bode well for Eli!! :)

Unknown said...

I know what you mean and what's crazy is I'm doing it for adults who somehow made it this far with out knowing how to do the simplest task and it's just easier to do it for them. So I'm glad you held back so she doesn't grow up like the people who work for me.