Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Unlucky Search for Pants

First, I want to say "Thanks" to everyone for their comments on Mikayla and her possible ADD diagnosis. We're just going to encourage her as much as possible between now and her appointment in January to pay attention and focus...also doing research in the interim period to evaluate all options of treatment. If she does have ADD, I believe it's borderline. Anyway, I'll keep everybody posted on her progress over the coming months.

Well, this entry in my blog is aptly titled after one of my peeves with the retail industry. I have been looking for a pair of khaki pants....you know, just plain cotton pants in a light brown color....for about 2 months. I have several sweaters and outfits in my closet just begging to be worn, but no pants to match them! I have ordered khaki pants from every online retailer that I trust (most of our shopping is done online these days) and have spent a good bit of money sending them back because they don't fit. Now, if you know me, and most of you do, I am not the smallest woman in America and freely admit this. Everyone has their sizing issues, and mine consist of a larger than average rear end and huge thighs. Most retailers do not make pants to accomodate these things very easily! After trying all my online options, I decided to just look in the stores as I have time and see if they have anything that would work. I visited the GAP last weekend in my unlucky search for pants. Now, the GAP is historically known for selling nice quality basics....and above all jeans and chinos (khaki pants). Well, this is not the GAP of old. They had 3 pairs of khaki pants in the entire store, and all of them were the wide leg variety. Now, I have nothing against wide leg pants and own several pairs; however, when you're a larger woman and you have to get a large size (say a 14!), the said "wide legs" on these pants are wide enough for 4 people's legs to fit comfortably! The leg opening at the bottom engulfs your entire shoe! So, the GAP no longer specializes in khaki pants....although they had about 20 different styles and varieties of black pants. Hmmm.... Anyway, I do recommend their jeans if you happen to have my body type. They're some of the best fitting, if more expensive, jeans for us bigger bottomed women.

So, my search for khaki pants continues at Old Navy this weekend. Again, a pet peeve. They had 1-2 pairs of khaki pants in their entire store....and these were the "lowest rise" variety. Meaning that when you bend over, sit down, or make the tiniest movement they drift down your buttocks and show your rear end. This is not a pretty site....and these pants are usually the cause of the dreaded "muffin top" which can make ever the smallest girl look overweight. So, yet again, a strike out.

My quest for a pair of khaki pants that fits continues.....stay posted for further developments! LOL Actually, this seems really frivolous compared to my previous post; but you can't be serious all the time and I am really determined to find a pair of khaki pants :-)

Until next time.....

3 comments:

Bette Anne said...

There is nothing wrong with a frivilous post, since that seems to be the majority of my posts! ;) I appreciate your struggle to find good pants and cracked up at your muffin top reference. Hopefully someday soon I won't have that problem! ;)

Ellen said...

You make me laugh... but only because I feel your pain. -My little treasure of the PERFECT jean was happened upon at TJ Maxx - Tommy Hilfiger. Who knew? (Once I found them, I have made it a habit to stop by almost weekly to see if they have them as they don't regularly carry the same items.) I know you've mentioned several online purchases... just out of curiosity, have you ever tried LL Bean khakis?? I love 'em. Worth a try at least. Again, they're a little pricier than some, but to me well worth the extra $$$. Good luck!

Unknown said...

We, hear in Kuwait, have a similar problem. If we want clothes we have to shop online or have someone from home send us something. So the sizes aren't always right, but every once in a while the PX will have a few clothes. The only problem with that is that everyone has the same clothes and more often than not we show up dressed alike.